27 January, 2023
Dear Citizens of Boothbay / Boothbay Harbor
I’m writing to update you on decisions made at the recent Building Exploratory Committee (BEC) Meeting. The BEC was formed by our school’s Board of Trustees and CSD School Board to examine options for the future of our PK-12 schools for voter consideration as a referendum.
The committee voted to:
- Develop additional options for consideration before making its final recommendation to the full boards to bring to referendum.
- This work would be based on direction and parameters from the Board of Trustees and the CSD Board and would utilize funds previously gifted for this purpose.
- Postpone the planned referendum until the FY 24 School year for a variety of reasons including:
- More time to develop additional options for consideration
- Additional time and opportunities for community engagement and feedback
- Additional time for fundraising
- Historically a much higher voter turnout in November than in May
- Allows time for the Charter revisions to be acted on prior to any referendum
In order for the peninsula to maintain secure and sustainable PK-12 schools, with an infrastructure that will support the technical and flexible learning needs for our current and future generations, there needs to be continued discussion, planning, and significant investment in our students, staff, and schools.
As always, please let me know if you have any input or questions regarding the future of the Boothbay Region Schools and we encourage you to become involved in these ongoing conversations.
The following meetings will be held at Boothbay Region High School Library:
Trustees Board Workshop – Tuesday, January 31, 2023, at 5:15 pm
Trustees Regular Business Meeting – Tuesday, February 07, 2023, at 5:15 pm
Joint Trustee and CSD Board Joint Workshop – Tuesday, February 07, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Building Exploratory Committee Meeting – Wednesday February 08, 2023 at 5:15 pm
BEC Communications Subcommittee- February 08 – immediately following BEC meeting
CSD School Board Regular Meeting: Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 5:15 pm
Further information (including meeting dates, agendas and minutes) can be found on our school board website.
Superintendent of Schools